I Believe You Should Take Your Time On Growing Up

Taylor - Mt. Sterling, Kentucky

I Believe You Should Take Your Time on Growing Up

When you think of twelve year olds, how do you describe them? Selfish, spoiled, or in their own little world? Well, when I was twelve my life changed. My dad passed away. Yes, it was tragic, but I only cried for a little while. That was truly all I had time for. I was too busy making sure stuff was clean around the house, seeing if my grandparents were okay at that moment, answering the phone, and trying to comfort other people plus myself. Then my mom came and talked to me. We cried and she told me stories about my dad when they were together. But out of all the words we shared there was just a few that truly stuck. And that was, “you shouldn’t grow up too fast.” And that is why today I believe you should take your time on growing up.

It was my thirteenth birthday when I found out this is what my main belief was. I was going to the mall with friends and I was dressing up big time. My mom came to see if we were ready. She said, “You’re growing up, but what I want you to know is that you don’t want to grow up too fast. Life is precious thing, I know, but so is childhood.” And after she had said what she needed to and left I turned and looked into the mirror. I got her point.

That day I had a great time being a kid. I realized that when my dad passed away I truly did grow up way too fast. My life turned into crying sobs, being alone in the closing darkness, and wondering if I was the next to leave this world. But then something wonderful, magical even, happened to me. I started being a teenager again. I went to the movies with friends. I went to birthday parties and had slumber parties. I went and discovered and done things I had never done before. And now my life has changed all because of a few words and a look in the mirror.