Words Can Hurt

Nakia - Mobile, Alabama
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

This I believe

Words Can Hurt

I totally agree with the phrase words can hurt. From personal experiences in my life words have hurt me and I too am guilty of hurting people with words. One of the reasons I agree with words hurting are because I have had encounters with family and friends saying some things to me that felt worst than a slap in the face. I also have been told by others to watch what I say to people because my words sometimes hurt them. Although it may have been the truth we all heard the phrase “the truth hurt.” I use to unconsciously say the first thing that came to my mind. Unaware of the hurt that I afflicted on others by the words that came out of my mouth, sometimes I did not care because of the need to want to say it. For an example, my sister might ask me how she looks in a dress and my answer may be that dress makes you look fat or you need to take it back and get a bigger size. I didn’t care about how it made her feel because I felt the need to say it. As time progress and I grew older and mature I realized that I wasn’t using wisdom when I spoke my mind. I began to think things through before I said them. The tongue can be a weapon, and you can use it to curse or bless someone. When I discovered that my opinions matter to so many of others in my life this was when I noticed it was time for me to build others up and not pluck them down. I began to give constructive criticism only when asked of me and after a positive comment. Since words can hurt, you never want to keep a person in pain, so now I always try to soothe the hurt with uplifting remarks. Not saying that everything I say is uplifting but I am conscious of the way I say things to other people now. So when my friends or my sister ask me, how does this color look on me? I just don’t say it is not your color (if it isn’t), what I say to them is I think this color looks better for your complexion and they usually agree with me which give us a reason to do more shopping for shoes.

Although words can hurt it is up to you on how you monitor your words. Remember there are ways to heal a person after you have said something hurtful to them. Never leave them hurting.