Dancing in the Rain

Kayla - Mt. Sterling, Kentucky
Themes: change, setbacks
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

You know how in those movies where people are driving out in the middle of nowhere and their car breaks down? So they start asking “Can this get any worse?” And then it starts raining? I live for that moment. I believe in dancing in the rain.

It has been about three months since I have quit our school choir. Although singing is my passion, I have never given much thought to how much I missed it. Honestly, I didn’t think that I had missed it at all, that is, until I heard them singing.

I was walking silently, but swiftly through the hallway —almost in one of those well-I’m-clearly-up-to-no-good kind of ways. As I continued to walk I heard a slight humming that grew louder, and more distinct, with every step I took. It was my former family of fellow singers. They were singing this beautiful Latin song. As I lingered I tried to pick out the three-part harmony. I felt as if I was in choir again, and later felt disappointed when I came to realize that I wasn’t. I missed bringing the combination of words and notes off of the paper and into the ears, and possibly the hearts of anyone listening.

Listening to them reminded me of that classic movie moment. Hearing them was my downpour. Dancing in the rain means making the best out of a bad situation. I never should have quit choir. I should have focused on the good instead of the bad because things could always be worse. Now, I regret it with everything I have. So next time, I’m going to dance in the rain, and stick with what I love doing, no matter how bad it gets.