The Power of Friendship

Marianne - Mount Sterling, Kentucky

I believe in the power of a great friendship.

I have a best friend. My best friend is strong, caring, and always knows what to say. She’s never afraid to speak her mind, and is pretty loud when she does it. Oh yeah and, she’s the most “snafu” person I’ve ever met. Her name is Allie!

I never knew what a real best friend was until we became friends. Sure, I’d had friends before, but never one that I could count on entirely. They all seemed to drift away eventually. But now I know, and I am thankful for that everyday.

My friendship with Allie continues to grow daily as a result of many things. It is because of our monthly sleepovers, our weekly “chill days”, and our daily I’m-going-to-text-you-because-I’m-too-lazy-to-call moments. Each time we do these things, I realize just how resistant our friendship is to shattering.

The other day, I was at Allie’s. We had just got home from a basketball game and had settled down to watch our show “The Secret Life of the American Teen” on her bed. We were gossiping and freaking out that our favorite character Ricky was going for Amy now, drinking Mountain Dew. We were kinda just chilling. That’s when it hit me. (And I know it hit her too) I became aware to the fact that I finally had a friend that I could get through anything with, a friend that will honestly tell me if those jeans make me look fat, and a friend that loves me for me. That is what a real friend is to me.

Now I can truthfully say that I believe in the power of a great friendship.