Honestly, It’s The Truth

Amber - Bryant, Arkansas
Themes: integrity

I believe that truth is mandatory in life. The main reason I believe this is because the Bible tells us not to lie in the Ten Commandments. Telling the truth should not be optional if you seek to be an honest person and want to do the right thing.

I learned a lesson about telling the truth at a very young age. As four year olds in Mrs. Gail’s preschool class, Haley and I giggled and whispered as we cut our hair. Even though cutting hair for the first time was exhilarating, I felt as if “GUILTY” was being written on our faces. Sure enough, the next thing I knew, Mrs. Gail was asking, “What in the world is going on here, girls?” BUSTED! While getting into loads of trouble by our preschool teacher and director, Haley began boo-hooing. I cracked and told the truth. Haley continued to cry and was overcome with guilt. Even though we should not have cut our hair, I was praised for telling the truth and was very relieved.

Some people believe it is okay to lie in certain circumstances. I believe in the Bible. It says we should not lie. That doesn’t mean it is okay if it is a small lie or if you think it would help the situation you’re in. God means do not lie!

I have learned that telling the truth in the beginning is much simpler because in the future I will not have to deal with or cover up a lie. Not only does telling the truth make life easier but also defines who I am. I believe that having a reputation for being an honest person is very crucial. If I am an honest and trustworthy person, others know they can depend on me for any kind of responsibility. I know now I can go far in life with these meaningful qualities.

From a fib in preschool to lying to parents to cheating in a job – being dishonest is never okay. Always tell the truth, and you will never regret it. Lacking integrity could cause the loss of friends, a job, or maybe even family. It is never too late to make a wrong right!