An open letter to President Obama

Frederick - Orlando, Florida
Entered on March 20, 2009
Age Group: 50 - 65
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

  • Podcasts

    Sign up for our free, weekly podcast of featured essays. You can download recent episodes individually, or subscribe to automatically receive each podcast. Learn more.

  • FAQ

    Frequently asked questions about the This I Believe project, educational opportunities and more...

  • Top Essays USB Drive

    This USB drive contains 100 of the top This I Believe audio broadcasts of the last ten years, plus some favorites from Edward R. Murrow's radio series of the 1950s. It's perfect for personal or classroom use! Click here to learn more.

Dear President Obama:

When I was growing up, a long time ago, there was a kid in my neighborhood who was very good at playing marbles. He was so good that he eventually won all of the marbles from the rest of us. Nobody saw it coming. Since our parents didn’t have the money to buy more marbles to “bail us out,” marble playing came to an abrupt halt.

Over the years I have found that it works the same way with economics. When only a few people hold all the “marbles” no one else can play the game.

That marble hoarding kid has grown up. Over the years, he and a few of his friends worldwide have “played the game” with economics. They have manipulated the game so that they have collected all of the “marbles.”

A search of the Internet for “Wealth in the United States,” reveals that over the years this manipulation has resulted in more then 90% of the wealth now being concentrated in the hands of less then 10% of the people. An article that appeared in The New York Times states: “If the statements recently made in this city by Henry Laurens Call before the American Association for the Advancement of Science are true, the concentration of wealth in this country has reached such a pitch that the most radical measures might well be invoked. Mr. Call holds that 99 per cent. of the wealth of the United States is in the hands of 1 per cent. of its population. This, he declares, is a complete reversal of the conditions existing fifty years ago, when there were only fifty millionaires in the entire country, and their fortunes, with those of the men worth $500.000, did not exceed 1 per cent. of the total wealth of the Nation. To-day, he says, there are 800,000 persons in the millionaire class, who hold over 90 per cent. of the National wealth.”

As you may have guessed by the numbers, this article appeared some time ago. It appeared on January 6, 1907. That’s twenty years before the collapse of Wall Street and the Great Depression.

Current statistics reveal that we reached that same financial critical mass some time ago. (see: ) The real estate collapse is only a symptom of the greed that has taken over our financial institutions. If we are to avoid another great depression, we must all get back into playing the economic game. To do that, we have to redistribute the “marbles.”

If 90% of the wealth is in the hands of less then 6% of the people, that means that the rest of us, 94% of the population, are battling over the 10% that’s left. It also means that all we have to do is get that small percent of rich people to give back 10% of the national wealth and the rest of us will all have twice as much! They will still have 80% of the wealth, nothing to sneeze at, while the rest of us will now have twice as much to work with.

We have all seen that trickle down economics has been a big lie to justify the collection of all the marbles by a greedy few. It gives hope to those who think that they too can make it rich. Unfortunately, over time, the wealth has become more and more concentrated into fewer and fewer hands. This leads to a form of royalty for the privileged few while the infrastructure of the country falls into ruin. This is the type of situation that led to the French Revolution!

What we need is trickle up economics. You are correct to tax the rich with a progressive tax. Perhaps Willie Sutton said it best. When asked why he robbed banks, Sutton simply replied, “Because that’s where the money is.” When we have Billionaires making over 65 Billion dollars a year, they are the ones who can best afford to bail out the economy. (Why aren’t they doing more on their own? Or, are they really the ones who are trying to get even more money from the rest of us through these devious manipulations of the economy?)

This concentration of wealth is nothing new. If you read Leviticus 25:8-55, you will find that God outlined a series of seven year plans; a fifty year plan; and a hundred year jubilee plan. It appears that we are at the point where we need a hundred year jubilee, where all debts are forgiven, if we are ever to get back to a stable economy.