A Hurting Dream

Alexa - Ridgefield, Washington
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe in dreams, but I lack motivation. Not from parents or peers,

But from myself. I honestly don’t think I have what it takes to get the scholarships for college. I’m not an excellent student. I’m average. Being an orthodontist would no doubt be what I dream to achieve, but when I think about it, my dream is crushed. There are many other people, smarter than me, and that have more money, who also would love to be an orthodontist. I just can’t help thinking that I’m not good enough. I don’t think I will give up, at least for now, but I’m going to need help to push myself just enough.

There is a man, Larry O’Leary, whom I can talk to about my goals, and whom I believe will help. I have only met him two times, but even after the first time he has asked me questions and wondered genuinely about my future dreams. He always seems interested and ready to point me in the right direction. The funny thing is, he is my best friend’s dad’s tax accountant. Which goes to show almost anyone can impact or inspire you. You jut have to be open to it.

I suppose that I have one of those typical American Dreams. A nice house, loving family, a career I love, and to not have to worry about financial problems. I will admit that confidence is a big missing key in myself personally. But maybe, you never know. I just have to try.

I want to encourage others the same. Even if it seems so unlikely, Strive.