Getting What You Want

jackie - Wrightsrown, New Jersey

I believe that no one gets what they want all the time. No matter how much money you have, you can’t always have anything and everything. Little kids especially think that they can always get whatever they want. On Christmas they think that they are going to get everything they ask for. Christmas shouldn’t be about that. It should be about spending the holidays with your family.

I remember Christmas when I was six years old. I really wanted this doll. It was the coolest thing ever. She was life size and she came with all of these clothes. It was the one thing that I really wanted. When I woke up that morning I ran down the steps like an animal. I ripped open all of my presents. I didn’t see the doll. I got all of this other cool stuff. I didn’t care about all of that though. All I wanted was that stupid doll. When I was done I was really mad. I didn’t even care about anyone or anything. I started to cry and scream.

“I want that doll Daddy!” I screamed.

“Jacqulyn, you can’t always get that you want,” he said trying to clam me down.

“But Daddy, I really want it!” I shouted again.

“You are being really ungrateful.” He told me.

I went upstairs crying.

Now that I think back was so selfish. There are people out there that don’t have anything and I was upset because the toys that I got weren’t good enough. I learned a very important lesson. I learned self control.

Little kids are always spoiled, whether it’s by their parents or by other people in their family. It always seems like they get what they want. I know that when my sister and I were little we were very spoiled, but we still never got everything we wanted. In a way I think it’s horrible that little kids are spoiled because when they don’t get what they want they get mad. They really shouldn’t get mad about that, but they do. I know I used to.

Next time you ask for something you might want to think twice and see if you have the money for it and the time to use it. Make sure that if for some reason you don’t get it, just don’t get mad be grateful for what you have already.