When You Need a Friend

Bryan - Bogart, Georgia

I believe in having fun. Sometimes the only way to get through the hard parts in life is to have fun. It is said that laughter is the greatest medicine. I truly believe that. Personally, I strive everyday to have a good time. If I’m not positive, then the only other option is negative. Negative is NOT the way I want to live my life.

When I first came across this view point, I was in 9th Grade. In my Latin class, this one guy continuously made me feel uncomfortable. I was brought up to shun cussing, profanity, rudeness; but with this guy, his presence somehow brought fear into me, and I could not uphold some of my most basic morals. He was truly a miserable person with his ways. I secluded myself from him as best I could, but he called me out and tried to embarrass me in front of the rest of the class. When I tried to have fun, he brought me down. When I tried a joke, he mocked me. I didn’t try hard enough to fight back as he rampaged my social life (I know, at this point, I am exaggerating somewhat). He started to infect other parts of my life, until one day, I did something about it. I told him to leave me alone. I didn’t care what he did with himself, just as long as he just kept his distance. I didn’t even want to be near him. I told him that he was bringing me down. I’m sure I hurt his feelings some, but if you knew him, you would say he deserved it.

A guy like that can ruin your mood, your whole day, even, with just one conversation. He was not someone I could go to, make a fool of myself, and then laugh together about it. He was someone who would keep at it until you feel like an idiot. The friends I have now are fun. They share the same goal in life as I do: to have fun. If that belief is ever challenged again, by someone who wants to bring me down in spite, I now know of people I can rely on and I can laugh with to get me through.