I Believe in the Everyday Heroes

Jessica - Athens, Georgia

When I was in New Jersey this summer, I watched my grandfather receive an award for all the work he has done for the town of Riverton, New Jersey. He was made an “Honorary Fireman.” He had not expected it. He did not know that he was going to be awarded for work that he would have done, award or no award. People would not understand how important the award was until they saw the look on my grandfather’s face when he received the award. I had never seen him happier. My family and the residents of Riverton, New Jersey applauded him on his achievement. It was a beautiful moment, and I will never forget it.

A lot of people have never heard of Riverton, New Jersey. It’s a small town located right on the Delaware River. My grandfather had written a book about the history of the town, documenting the town’s importance throughout history. His book was published by a small publishing company and now a few more people will hear about Riverton, New Jersey. It was not a huge feat, but it was a significant feat too the people of Riverton. To the people of Riverton, my grandfather was a hero; a small-town, everyday hero.

My grandmother is also a hero to the people of Riverton, New Jersey. Everyday she gets up and goes to her job as a realtor. Now, being a realtor is not that big of a deal, but it is what she does along with being a realtor that makes her a hero. She has a house that she lets immigrant families live in until they get a stable income. She takes in stray dogs and gives them a home. She funds a lot of the town’s events and donates a lot of money and time to the town every year. She really cares about Riverton, no matter how small of a town it is. She is an everyday hero.

I believe that there are people out there who do good things just because they are good people. They do not want a reward for doing the right thing. They do not ask for anything in return. They are everyday heroes. I believe in everyday heroes. This belief in everyday heroes is what keeps me going. I hope that one day, I will be someone’s everyday hero.