I believe in 100 percent of everything

Kali - Marietta, Georgia
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe in 100 percent of everything. From the age of four to now, my father has told me the same thing before every soccer game. He says, “Put 100 percent of effort out there Kali.” and like the teenager I am, I would say, the over used phrase, OK. Then, like the girls I am, I would role my eyes when he turned away. I went through my life, listening to that line given by my dad in efforts to pump me up before a game, and never really given it much thought. It was not until recently that I started to truly understand how much those eight words could really carry me through life. I am now 17 years old and I am starting to look at colleges, that in it’s own sense is terrifying. I use to think my father only had soccer as an excuse to say those words, but now it feels as if 100 percent of myself is going into my life. Now I have picked up an expression of my own. It goes, “To live life to the fullest, you have to put all of you into what you do.” Needles to say that my father had his own influence in my life philosophy. I am glad my father persisted to drill those, now significant, words into me before every game. If it were not for his persistence, I would have never come to the realization that if you do not do something with 100 percent of yourself put into what you are doing, you will never get anything out of it. With this on my mind, my life has been more fulfilling. Even when I am miles away from home, and trying to pump myself up before a big game, I will always remember my father’s words and how much he truly meant it.