1,000 Frozen Memories

Sarah - Wellesley, Massachusetts
Themes: place
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

Hundreds of pictures lay on my once pale green walls. Best friends, mortal enemies, and teammates all stare at me, always with the same expression, wanting me to look at them and remember the good times we had.

I love pictures. They represent an everlasting symbol as to why life is so marvelous. But I didn’t always feel this way.

During my 3rd summer of camp I decided to take photo, something I had never done before. So for 2 weeks I stalked my friends ramming a lens in their face every time they smiled. Shoes being tied, beds being made, and bug spray being sprayed were all among some of the precious memories I captured. From the eyes of a ten year old, I had hit the jackpot. But somehow along the way those sacred pictures were lost. And by the time I got home only one picture remained, my fellow photographers and I waving awkwardly at the camera.

From that point on I made it my goal to capture every single moment spent at camp on film. I have taken more and more pictures every summer culminating in the shrine that is my room. This past summer I reached a new record; I had used over fourteen disposable cameras. Shoes being tied and various bug repellants being applied was the least of what occupied my 300 photos. Now what did I do with all those pictures you ask? The answer is simple. I used my best friend, blue sticky putty and pasted them all over my room. In the center, the start of it all, the picture of me in photo five lovely summers ago.

It’s hard to imagine that this summer will be my second to last at Camp Ramah in New England. I have spent over 32 weeks of my life in the place I now call my second home. I was talking to a camp friend the other day and he decided he wanted to play a game. The game was straightforward; we would name all the people we would never see again after camp was over. What a horrible game. Going to camp is such a privilege I have and every moment of my glorious summers should be remembered for eternity. That is why I take so many pictures. So when I’m old and gray I can look back on those hundreds of pictures and remember how much fun I had and how many great people I knew and loved.

I believe pictures are worth a thousand words.