Andrew Jarrett - Monroe, Georgia
Themes: Christianity

I was about halfway done with my ninth grade year at George Walton Academy, and everything was going great. I had gone to George Walton my entire life, and I did not know anything different. One day my dad and I were on the way home from school when he said to me, “Son, I’ve decided to take a job at another school. You and I are transferring after Christmas.” This shocked me. Fortunately, what I believe to be fact about such situations is, “And we know that all things work together for good to those that love God, to those who are called according to His purpose” (Romans 8:28). However, I had no idea that anything like this “test” would ever happen to me. Being a faithful son, I accepted this as a challenge without arguing, knowing that God would indeed work this out for my benefit.

Only a week existed before Christmas break, and I was scared to death. I had never changed schools before, and all of the friends I ever had went to school with me at George Walton Academy. I was very used to being in a private school where I knew all of the people at the school, and I was very comfortable going to school there. I said goodbye to all of my friends, classmates, teammates, teachers, and coaches and set out for my new school not knowing what to expect; but I trusted my dad, and I trusted my faith. Grayson High School was completely different from George Walton Academy. It was a public school with about 3,500 students, and the population was very diverse, something I was not used to. Tattoos, body piercings, and fights in the stairwells were on my left and transsexuals, gays, and “PDA” were on my right. All of the things I had ever heard about large public schools were seemingly coming true. The first two months were the hardest months of my life. I did not know anybody, and I was very uncomfortable. I also knew that I would be trying out for the freshman baseball team in the “big-time” Gwinnett County league. Once again I was scared to death, but God kept telling me through the Bible and through people like my dad to trust in Him; so I did. Before I knew it, the year was over, and I had made it through without hardly ever worrying, and ironically, it turned out to be a fantastic experience.

I had heard the preacher say it, my Sunday school teacher say it, and my dad say it. Now, I have had experience with believing it: “And we know that all things work together for good to those that love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.” Things in my life are not perfect by any means, but I know that everything will turn out well because I’ve stuck to my belief.