The Power

Rachel - Greenwood Village, Colorado
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

Ever since I can remember, I have known what I want to do with my life. Crowds cheering, blinding lights in my eyes, nerves, and of course mosh pits. I cannot tell you how many times I have dreamt about playing music in front of thousands of people, nor can I count the times I have yearned to be out on the road as a touring artist with other bands, pursuing what I love most. I’ve always known it would become my lifestyle. I’ve always recognized my passion for music and felt that someday I will get to what I want, because I believe in the power of will.

It all started when I was in third grade; I started taking guitar lessons and writing my own songs. It took up all my free time and a lot of hard work, but I was willing to take as much patience as needed if it meant reaching my dream. I also learned to play the drums as well as the piano, and started taking singing more seriously. By eighth grade, I started getting intensely into the local music scene. I was instantly captivated by the people there and the way they lived their lives, and I finally felt like I fit in somewhere. I got to know local bands and venue owners, and soon enough I had become a familiar face around those shows. Of course, this is great and all, but you may be wondering where all of this is going. Well, the following year I started promoting my music by recording it and putting it on the Internet. One of the artists I had met really enjoyed my music and asked me to play a show with him! Of course I was overjoyed, and by January of freshman year I had played my first paying gig. I was so proud, and I couldn’t wait to play more.

Before I knew it, I started getting amazing responses from people who called themselves my “fans”. I couldn’t believe it…I had fans! This encouragement kept me hard at work, and I knew I needed to keep going if I wanted things to keep getting better. I spent a lot of time promoting my music over the Internet and at places like school and, more importantly, venues. I spent a lot of time learning how to perfectly master a track, use different programs, and use different recording equipment. All of this was on top of the usual writing cycle. My recording sessions seemed to never end. I felt like my life was completely consumed by music, but that was exactly how I wanted things to be.

At times I like to look back and let myself float into a state of nostalgia for how far I have come by just wanting something so terribly bad. All of my musical experiences have taught me to never give up, work hard, but most importantly: if you really want something that badly, you will get it.