I Believe History is Important

Andrew - Brazoria, Texas

What would life be like if the American Revolution never happened? What would have happened if Abraham Lincoln was never assassinated? What if we lost World War II? These thoughts have pelted my mind as I think about the “what ifs” of history. I soundly believe that learning about the past is important for the future. Almost all the time I hear people say, “What importance does learning about a bunch of dead people from a long time ago have to do with my life?” It disheartens me to hear this. Surprisingly for many of those people, history has a lot to do with us. Also, on the same note, if you were to ask me if history was important some where like nine years ago, I would not be able to answer that question. As far back as I can remember, I have always liked learning history. Since I was very small I have enjoyed hanging-out with my Dad. We enjoy talking about history, wars, and historical figures. While spending time with my Dad, I figured out that history can teach about what we have done in the past that has shaped our future.

“Drew Huebner, can I see you for something!” I heard as I was walking along the hanger deck of the U.S.S. Lexington in Corpus Christi, Texas. I quickly followed the head manager, separating from my Boy Scout group. I was thinking, “Oh man, I must be in big trouble!” as I was being lead to a room with a sign that said Staff Only. The next thing that happened surprised me. In the room were three old men who I believe were staff. We greeted each other as they said they had served on the very ship on which I was standing, during World War II. We talked about the war and war related events. Then one of them said, “When you all go out into this world, you should not be our next fighters but, our peace makers.” That moment stuck to me, inspiring me to consider my future. History has also taught us about the mistakes we have made in the past. I believe it is true, “Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.”