Charles - Munfordville, Kentucky
Themes: nature

I believe in planting trees. I began planting trees in the Spring of 1962, as a boy in the hills of Hart County, Kentucky. Every year since, I have planted trees. In some years, I have planted only ten trees. In other years, I have planted over 10,000. When college friends went to the beach for Spring Break, I came home and planted trees. In later years, when other lawyers went to golf courses on Spring afternoons, I went to the farm and planted trees.

Since 1962, I have successfully introduced 39 new species of trees to my Tree Farm, which is registered with the American Tree Farm System.

On April 16, 1976, I began a tradition of planting trees on each Good Friday. I have planted Chinese Chestnut, Peaches, Apples, Pears, Bald Cypress, Redbud, Dogwood, but mostly Christmas trees.

My minister enjoys the symbolism of planting Christmas trees on Good Friday.

By my count, I have planted well over 100,000 trees in my life- time, one at a time. As a tree farmer of the American Tree Farm System, I am proud of that. On this Good Friday, I will close the office as I have for 30 years, and plant trees for this 34th Good Friday in a row. My friend, DLArborist.com from Lexington distributes a bumper sticker that reads, “Got Oxygen? Thank a Tree.” I was 40 years into planting trees before I discovered the term “carbon sequestration.” That is a good reason to plant trees, but that is not the reason I plant trees. I plant trees for the same reason that I raise Old English Sheepdog puppies: to watch them grow through the seasons. Spring is the season I enjoy most. Good trees to you and Happy Easter.