Freedom

Denise - Parker, Colorado

“Liberty is the possibility of doubting, of making a mistake,… of searching and experimenting,… of saying No to any authority – literary, artistic, philosophical, religious, social, and even political.” ~Ignazio Silone, The God That Failed, 1950.

My sister says that I should have freedom. My sister wants me to have a good life and doesn’t want me to suffer like she and my other siblings. Wants me to finish school so I could have a good education. Doesn’t want me to struggle finding work when I get older. She doesn’t want me to be like her and my other two sisters and brother who didn’t finish school.

She wants me to have everything. Always wants me to be nice and fancy, to party and more. My sister wants me to be like her and my other sisters. So pretty much that mean we get compliments when we go to parties. Some compliments we usually get are that we look pretty and look alike. I do everything to get clothes and shoes. I help my mom with chores, and I baby-sit, and I also go and help my other sisters or sister-in–law with their chores. Always buying me the best clothes that I like. She always tells my mom and dad to take me out. Why? So I won’t get bored at home. Wants me to have fun, to enjoy the weekend with her, my other sisters, brother or mom and dad. She never wants me to be home bored.

My sister doesn’t want me to be like them. She says that my mom is raising me like she raised them. My sister says that that’s not okay. She says that I shouldn’t be raised like that only because I am the only child now. She says that I should defend myself and not let her destroy my freedom.

My brother and older sister still want me to be respectful to my mom and dad. They say that when I want to leave the house that I should learn how to do everything the right way first instead of leaving. They don’t want me to be like my other two dumb sisters who didn’t know how to cook or do anything right.

I have to work hard for my freedom by being respectful and responsible. I believe in freedom because everyone would want to have a wonderful, fun life. I believe in what my sister says because she has suffered too much when she first got married and now she feels a little better because she is with someone she loves and he loves her to. I trust my sister and believe her because I LOVE HER. She’s like a second mom to me. She knows what freedom means, and has shown me its value.