Sacrifice

Alex - Atlanta, Georgia
Themes: family, work

She was thirty years old when she had her first child, and five years late my mom gave birth to me. Her whole life she had worked so hard to get where she had always wanted to be. She was a doctor and ready to start her practice, probably as anxious and excited as she had ever been. Who wouldn’t be? After all, her work was finally about to pay off.

When my brother was born, things changed for her. She left her profession, the one thing she had felt so passionate about. She gave it up for her children, so that she could be there for us because she loved us. I believe in sacrifice, and I have seen the true meaning of sacrifice in my mom.

Sometimes I wonder what it is about me or my brother that she feels compelled to nurture us. I am seventeen years old, and my mom still gives up sleep so that she can make my breakfast and see me off to school every morning. I find myself so many times unaware of what she gives up for me, and what amazes me most is that even without the gratitude or some act of appreciation, she continues to do what she does.

I believe that it is because of my mom’s sacrifice for her family that I am who I am, and she has taught me that sacrifice is an essential part of human life. Without sacrifice I have come to realize that nothing truly works. Behind every success, every win, every gain, there is some sacrifice.

My dad tells me all the time that if I want to be a doctor (which I still do) sacrifice is something I’m going to have to get used to. My dad had to sacrifice time with friends and vacations so that he could be where he is today, so he could give his children the opportunity to do whatever it is they wanted.

I am only a teenager so I don’t know everything yet (though sometimes I think I do), but I have come to truly appreciate the sacrifices that have been made for me, and I understand that sacrifices will definitely be made if I truly want to succeed and be happy in this life.

I have a passion for sports, and as an athlete you must be selfless, and you must sacrifice your body no matter how much it tells you to quit or just give up. I know that in those last few minutes, when my legs are burning and my lungs are struggling for air, I have to give it up so the team can win, and when it’s all over I can honestly say that I gave it my all, no regrets.

I believe that anything worthwhile in my life is going to require a little work, and whole lot of sacrifice.