I Believe in Miracles

Matthew - Ada, Michigan

I believe in miracles

Not the classic Old Testament parting the Red Sea miracles. I’m talking about every day, run of the mill miracles. Imagine you’re at a lake cottage, it’s chilly, but the sun is shining down creating brilliant warmth wherever it touches long enough. There’s a boat on the lake, with leather seats, just rocking steadily in the sparkling water. The seats have been sitting in the sun all day, just soaking up that life giving heat. Imagine just getting out of the cool water and having the chilly end of August air envelope you, immediately setting off a barrage of complaints from your body. Heat radiates from the boat seats, and if you’ve ever stretched your body out along the back of a boat like this you know, the warmth is one of the most amazing feelings in the world.

Its little miracles like a warm boat seat that I believe in. I’m no extraordinarily religious person, but I believe that every person can find true happiness in life by pursuing simple endeavors like this.

“The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on water, but to walk on earth.” This Chinese proverb contributes much to my belief. The ancients had it down before my great great many great grandparents were even conceived. The miracle of life might be considered no little miracle. It is so mind boggling complex to even contemplate the origin of our existence, and to this day, I have not tried to comprehend it. I do not care where we came from, or where we go when we die. I have no fear of death. Whether we go to some sanguine heaven for the rest of our immaterial existence, or simply dissipate into a cloud of carbon atoms, I do not care. What I live for is those simple miracles and the happiness that is brought about through my own choosing.

The only rule I govern my belief is that in the course of choosing my own happiness, I shall not impede the progress of others, only progress it. This is how I choose to live my life. This, I believe.