Words Can Hurt

Brooke - Bellows Falls, Vermont
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

Words can hurt. Sometimes words hurt worse than a forceful punch in a fight. Sometimes when someone says something to you, it can really hurt you and hit you deep down . Emotional hurting stays with you for a lifetime and you will always remember what the words are but you might not remember the fight you had in 7th grade.

Words may be just something you say but they are always meaningful to someone. Words hurt worse than being backstabbed by a friend, so watch what you say and who you say it to. I believe that if someone says a vulgar word to someone then takes it back, it’s still wrong. You say what you mean and you mean what you say.

Thinking way back to 8th grade I can remember having a fight with my best friend Missy. Whenever I hung out with her too much, we would always fight. One time when she was at my house we had an argument about something stupid, which I can’t remember but I can remember that I called her a really bad name, and when I said that she looked at me as if she was going to cry. Right at that point I knew that I pushed the limit too far and really hurt her. The look on her face was shocking; I had no idea that my words could actually hurt someone so much. I knew that I did the wrong thing and pushed her limits too far. My words hurt her.

From then on I realized how much my not so meaningful words to me were actually really meaningful to others and could hurt someone. I choose my words wisely and I always remember who I am around, so my careless words won’t be able to hurt anyone.

Hurtful words are like daggers being thrown into your back. They might not show the physical bruises or pain but they have all of the emotional pain that goes with it. I believe that everyone should realize who they are around and what words come out of their mouth.