Don’t stress about the small stuff

Tracy - Appleton, Wisconsin
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe that I should live everyday to the fullest, and not worry about the small things . I had an awakening moment in my life last summer. Before last summer I thought I was invincible and that because I’m so young that nothing can go wrong with me. If I were going to get a disease I would have been born with it or it would show up in 20-30 years from now, so why worry about it? Last summer I was at the DMV renewing my license plates and I had a seizure. One minute I was at the DMV the next minute I was waking up in an ambulance, I passed out again and woke up in the ER where I had no idea what was going on and I passed out again and when I woke up my family was with me in an ER. My sister who was with me explained that I fell over and started shaking and twitching, she said my face turned purple and I was unresponsive, they called 911 and after an MRI, a CT scan, a EEG test, a bunch of blood tests and 5 hour later I was left wondering why I’m stuck with all these medical bills and yet the results from all these expensive tests couldn’t tell me what’s wrong with me. I was confused and scared, up until this point in my life I was in total control of my body and my health, and now I have a 50% chance of having another seizure. I know there are worse things that can happen to a person, but the smallest thing can turn a person’s life around. After my seizure, my life changed, I am more cautious about stress, I have learned to let the small stuff go, and I try to live everyday to the fullest and not let things bother me. Some of my values and beliefs changed. I now value my life a little more than before, I have realized that I need to be concerned about my health, more than money and luxuries like nice clothes and fancy cars. I’m now living my life to the fullest extent and I still worry about stuff but it’s certainly not the small stuff anymore.