Helium

Hartson - Birmingham, Alabama
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe that you shouldn’t do something just because everyone else is doing it. Did you know that helium is a drug? In fact, some people die from helium. It might be funny and make your voice sound high but it is not good for you.

One day at City Stages, a music festival in Birmingham, my cousin Matilde and I saw some balloons. We both thought it would be funny to make our voices sound high. We each got a balloon. Matilde went first. She inhaled a little of the balloon at a time. Right after she did so, she was walking like a drunk. She even ran into someone. The lady got mad. We were laughing at the lady that got mad at us. Then I had it. I was wondering what it would be like. Does it really make your voice sound high of do people just act it. So, I inhaled the whole balloon all at once. My voice sounded high.

After I was done messing around I felt really tired and woozy. I remember walking on the streets with my friend’s dad, Ed, walking next to me. My dad was trailing behind. The last thing that I remember is leaning on Ed. I was out.

When I woke up, there were a lot of people around me. I didn’t know what had happened. I just knew that I was on the ground. Ed was yelling for my dad. He said that I had been out for about five seconds. My adrenaline was pumping. I saw a small ambulance cart coming. My dad finally arrived. He seemed relieved to see me up. He told the ambulance that I had just had a little helium. Afterwards, he got mad at me, but then he told me that he was sorry.

Whenever I see people inhaling helium, I tell them not to do it because I fainted one time from it. Some people listen to me and some people ignore me. I think that helium is one step closer to even worse drugs, like marijuana or crystal methamphetamine. If you get addicted to those then your life would end quickly. This is why I believe that you should not do something just because everyone else may be doing it.