What Do You Believe In?

Aryn - Homewood, Alabama

I believe in strength. There are all kinds of strength that we need to get through difficult situations. Physical strength can help you lift boxes and open pickle jars. Intellectual strength can help you ace tests and become a brain surgeon. But I want to talk about emotional strength, the kind you need to get through the rough times in your life when all you want to do is sit on the couch with a tub of ice cream, watching movies.

The time that I learned the most about emotional strength was not when my best friend stabbed me in the back. It’s to be a bit more serious than that. The time I learned the most, and the biggest lesson of my life so far, was when my parents got divorced.

The lesson that I learned has helped me ever since I was nine years old. When I was nine, my parents told me that they were going to get a divorce. Talk about devastated! What I had seen in movies and thought would never happen to my family was about to happen. I didn’t understand. I thought my parents were happy, but I guess I was wrong.

Soon after their divorce was finalized, my dad got remarried. I was going to visit him every other Thursday through Sunday. At first, this confused me. I didn’t like the instability that this custodial arrangement caused in my life, but I soon learned to live with it and I am glad I did. I also learned my lesson.

I learned that what may seem like a bad situation, if you look at it a little differently, can actually be a good one. When I decided to move along and accept the change in my life, I realized that I was enjoying this arrangement. I liked alternating between families! I mean, who wouldn’t want to have two families that love you unconditionally? What about having two birthdays and two Christmases? I don’t know all the answers. But what I do know is that both of my families love me. And honestly, that’s really all that matters, isn’t it?

I learned that looking at things differently can change your life. Even though I was not old enough to make all my own decisions, like eating ice cream and watch movies non-stop, I still went through the roughest time in my life. I used emotional strength that I didn’t even know I had in me. Looking back, I wish the situation could have been different. But without it, I would not be person that I am today. I would not be the same Aryn Greene, and this I believe.