Love is a strong word.

Jaci - Mineola, Texas
Themes: love, question
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

As I walked down the jagged charcoal colored sidewalk, I felt my phone vibrate in my

back pocket. I quickly grabbed it and no surprise; I had a new text message. When I read the words my

heart sank. “I don’t know what I’ve been thinking all this time,” Jacob wrote, “I love you, and I’m not

playing games.”

Late July. I had just started talking to him. I loved talking to him. Everyday, when my phone went

off, my stomach filled with butterflies. He made me feel like a princess.

Late August. I woke up to see that I had a new text message. However, this message was not full

of happiness. It contained just the opposite, heartbreak. “I’ve been doing a lot of thinking here lately

and I just don’t see how this can work with us living so far away. I’m sorry. I will always care about you.”

Tears streamed down my face and suddenly I felt a lump in my throat. I’d never felt anything like this

before. Of course, I’d been broken up with before, but it was different this time. I can’t say why because

even I don’t understand it.

Mid September. I am on the internet when I discover a picture of Jacob with another girl. Under

it the words, “I love her” were written. My heart ached. “He hadn’t cared the whole time. How could he

move on so fast?”

Mid November. I have a boyfriend, I am happy, again. I have made a distraction from my pain.

However, Jacob is texting me, saying he still cares. I don’t know whether to believe him or not.

Early December. I am single. I am lonely. I am tired of waiting. “Where is he now and why isn’t

he talking to me?” I think.

Early January. I’ve met a boy. He seems to like me. However, Jacob is texting me, again. I’m

starting to see a pattern. He seems to only want me when he can’t have me.

Today. Jacob texted me. The message read, “I don’t know what I’ve been thinking all this time. I

love you and I’m not playing games.

I don’t believe him, anymore. I am tired of being hurt. I am happy because that is what I will

choose. As I tried to think of what to say, it hit me. “Love” is a strong word. This I believe.

When someone tells you they love you, it does something to you. Loving someone is serious. It’s

not just a word one should through around. When a person loves someone, his actions will show it.

Jacob’s actions never showed love, and I cannot believe in words alone.