Cristal - Mineola, Texas
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

Do you know yourself? Do you think somebody really knows who she or he is? Do you really believe there is such a thing?

I believe that there is no such thing as knowing yourself. You might think you know yourself, but that’s just that day because the next day you might change your mind. N school teachers always say, “You need to know yourself to know what you want in life.” I don’t think that’s true. I think you are just going to do what you like.

One day, I went to a Quinceanera, and I a girl wearing some skinny jeans and some flats. I thought that girl was dressing ugly, so I told myself, “Cristal don’t you ever wear something like that in your life.” Every time I saw somebody dressing like that I said, “That girl looks ugly.” A couple of months later, my sister bought some of those jeans and I told her, “Those things are hideous.” She just said, “Shut up!” That Saturday we went to another party, and there were more girls wearing skinny jeans. That night I told myself the same thing. “Don’t you ever wear those hideous things.”

As the time went by, I saw more and more girls wearing those jeans. I said to myself, ” I don’t think those jeans are that bad after all, but I’m not wearing them. I don’t want to look like a giraffe or an ostrich with a big body and little legs.” I was changing my mind toward those so called “skinny jeans.” I was staring to like them, but I thought o was never going to wear them, but I thought I was never going to wear them because I had, “chicken legs.”

Like A year later, there was going to be another Quinceanera of the same family. I dint know what I was going to wear. I went to the mall with my boyfriend. We went into JC Penny, where I told him, “Let me try these skinny jeans on,” and he said, “okay.” I came out of the fitting room to show him how I looked, and he said ” You look sexy!” So I bought those jeans.

Now I wear “skinny jeans” more often. See, you can change you mind. You may think you changed yourself, but you dint; You just chanced your mind.