Linda - Highland Heights, Kentucky
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe that our economy that continues to fail has been like a giant game of musical chairs. Before now, the music was playing so fast and so loud that we didn’t notice that there weren’t enough chairs. Then when gas got up to $4.00 per gallon, the music slowed (and hit a sour note), and we noticed that there weren’t enough chairs, and that many of them were broken, and that we were tired. And we freaked out. And we sat down and refused to play.

Now the effort is to re-start the music and get us to play again. But I don’t want to play, and I don’t think most of us want to play, until the game has changed, with different music. We need more types of chairs that won’t all fail at the same time, enough chairs for everyone playing (or at least almost everyone!), and music that won’t harm the environment when we play it, so we can play it for a long time.