Music on Bad Days

Jake - Encinitas
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

It’s 5:00 in the morning as I struggle down the stairs and out the door. Still in my pajamas I fight through the morning darkness, swaying and stumbling often on my way to the car. I fall as I stub my toe on a rock on the side of the lawn. Already it was turning out to be one of those days where nothing goes right. Annoyed and restless I hop into the car, strap on the seatbelt and prepare to embark on a long and tedious ride up north. In my mind I’m thinking this is the last place I want to be and I start to contemplate if the four and a half hour ride really is worth seeing all the aunts and uncles get drunk on Christmas Eve. I stop the nonsense and start the car, I do not have an option and the more I procrastinate, the more traffic I would hit going up.

So here I am, approximately 5:12 A.M. somehow more tired and irritable now than when I first got up. As I get to the freeway, I try to make the best out of my situation and start to play some car games. I start looking around for out of state license plates. Very quickly I notice a problem for my game: there are about 9 cars on the freeway that I can see and even worse, all of them with California license plates.

I roll my eyes back in disgust, my toe still throbbing when I realize something else; I haven’t eaten breakfast yet. I search in the back seat for something, anything that could hold me over for a couple hours. Finally, my luck was changing as I spot a Doritos bag. I lunge for the bag, hoping there’s more than just crushed chips left to cure my hunger. I grab the bag and instantly feel like an idiot. Of course the bag was empty, why would anything go right for me this morning? I throw the bag back to where I found it and start to sink in my chair. I was positive this was the start of the worst day of my life.

I sit in silence for a good ten minutes. Ten turned into twenty, and twenty to forty. I pass by a billboard promoting a Jack Johnson concert in San Diego in a week. I start to sing my favorite Jack Johnson song in my head when it hit me. I had been sitting in this car for almost an hour with nothing going right for me and I had yet to turn on the music. I put in a CD sitting on the passenger seat and turn up the volume. The bass hits, the beat starts to pour out the speakers, and the lyrics fill my car. Every couple minutes I catch myself singing crazily to the music as a few passing cars looked over to laugh at me. I don’t care though because suddenly my toe doesn’t hurt, I’m not tired and my hunger was completely non-existent.

I realize that music was my remedy to an awful morning. It was the savior to potentially the worst day of my life. I came out of this experience with a firm belief that has stuck with me ever since. I believe that listening to music is a remedy for bad days.