The Power of Change

Mathew - Houston, Texas
Themes: change
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

Many people say “change is for the better”, while some may disagree, I believe in the power of change. I believe that no matter what you might have said in the past or what u may have did, there is a way to change and start living a better new life.

There once used to be a boy named Wilson who went to my elementary school when I was in the third grade. He wasn’t quite popular with the girls or with the boys for that matter. He was quite bigger than the rest of the students, and teased the other students for no reason I could find. Also he didn’t get picked to play on the team much when we would have our daily hour of recess before lunch time. It bothered me why he would pick on other people for no apparent reason. Was it because he was lonely, or was it because he just didn’t like us? So one day I tried to find out. So it was my turn to become team captain for the game we would play at recess today. So I had to choose our players wisely, instead of picking the usual best like James, the fastest kid in school, I decided it was time to test out my theory, I picked the bulky Wilson. Many of my teammates berated me for picking the biggest kid in our class thinking he would be the slowest also, but I knew it would pay off. Wilson joined our game, and played with so much enthusiasm it brought out a side of him that no one has seen. He was so agile that he led our team to victory. That day he not only gained the friendship of the class by showing the kinder side of Wilson that everyone loved, but also my friendship. Wilson later on became one of my closest friends. Everyone used to see him as mean lonely Wilson. But now you can see a little change can go a long way.

Some people will disagree with me and tell you that change is bad and that they don’t want to try anything new and risk getting hurt. But if I could change everyone’s perspective of the big and mean Wilson into that of the loving and kind Wilson who everyone loves now, that’s shows that I believe in the power of change.