The Importance of Friendship

Akili - houston, Texas

The summer after fifth grade was my first time going to a sleep away camp. I was so excited: one whole week, seven entire days away from my parents and brother, a whole week to make new friends. Before dinnertime came I became friends with about half the people in my group, especially with one girl Elle.

What person would not want to be friends with her? She was funny, pretty, smart, and exciting. She had a certain je ne sais quoi that just drew you to her. I didn’t have a clue why she was even interested in me but I took the bait.

The whole time at camp she and I did everything together. If one of us had do go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, we would wake the other up and go together. If there was a necessity for partners we paired together. When we had capers we did them together. We even went to the clinic together when I scraped my knee.

Elle’s good streak came to a squealing, screeching halt when another girl got on her bad side. When Elle talked to me about it I thought uh oh. Both girls were my friends. I was torn. I weighted the consequences of supporting one over the other. Both outlooks were grim. But I decided on Elle.

If anything this experience taught me that you cannot be friends with everyone. But it also taught me that having one good friend is immensely better than having many.