True Happiness Lies in Family

Somtochi - Houston, Texas
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

The heat and humidity beat on my skin like drums. A week before, I relaxed in an air conditioned hotel in the city; now, I was distressed in a sweltering remote village in Nigeria. The situation aggravated me even more by the fact that NEPA once again removed the electricity. How could I enjoy myself without power? I remained used to the gentle breeze from an air conditioner, the low hum of a computer, and the general pleasure of electricity.

There was nothing to do, well nothing to turn on should I say, so my cousin decided that we should take a walk around the village. I wondered how we could take a walk in this crazy weather, but my cousin just told me I would enjoy it.

I stepped off the porch with a wave of qualm surrounding me. I couldn’t possibly imagine how I would find delight in walking in a place simply filled with cassava plants, yams, goats, and everything excluding power.

All of my worries about the severe heat and the lack of electrical entertainment cooled away as I saw children laughing and playing soccer, people greeting each other with warm smiles, and truly happy people. I too began to laugh and greet people with warm soothing smiles.

It dawned upon me that I was truly happy at this point. I did not have to worry about turning on my phone, watching the most recent episode of the latest show, or focusing my eyes on a computer screen to talk to friends. Happiness had engulfed me through the children’s laughter, my cousin’s words of assurance, and simply life.

That simple stroll around the red dusted village of Nigeria enlightened me on the true meaning of delight. Bliss can’t be found in the latest cell phone, game, or mp3 player; because, as the power was removed, there was nothing to fill the gaps I once called happiness. True happiness lies within us, family, those we love, and life. This I believe.