Everything Happens For A Reason

Kristen - Staunton, Virginia
Themes: purpose, setbacks

My belief is that everything happens for a reason. Many people ask me why and I respond by telling them that I have had many events occur in my life that make me think that way. When I was only five years old, I watched my grandpa shoot himself because he did not live a very happy life. He was always in and out of hospitals and he soon became an alcoholic because he was always drinking whenever he wasn’t in hospitals. Before he died, my mom told me that he would abuse my grandma very badly. It was sometimes to the point where she couldn’t even move, but he never made it bad enough to make her go into the hospital. To this day, I think that if my grandpa would not have committed suicide, he would have hurt my grandma worse and worse, maybe even killed her! Even though it had a very bad impact on my life, part of me is still glad that he did this to himself. But now my grandma is happier than she has ever been and is living better than ever by herself in her own home, and she could not ask for more.

Then about ten years later when I was fifteen, I was driving home from the grocery store with my mom. We had to go to the store because I had just begun spring track at my high school and my coach told me that I was dehydrated. He said that as soon as I could I should go get this special type of water so that’s exactly what I did. I had just gotten my learners license so I wanted to drive everywhere! Well on the way, I was driving on route 11 which is a pretty busy highway near my house, and as I came over the hill, I saw a teenage boy getting his mail. And as soon as I got near him, he darted out in front of my car. By then it was too late to respond or do anything so I accidently hit him. He survived but I still have to deal with knowing I almost killed somebody. I believe that if I wouldn’t have hit him with my car, maybe somebody else would have with a larger vehicle and he would not be here today. I learned about three months after I hit him that he was mentally challenged and that’s probably the reason why he ran out in front of me. I just don’t understand why his parents would let him cross route 11 to get the mail when they knew about that. But I can’t change the past and that is only two of my stories about why I believe everything happens for a reason.