The Pass

Quang - Sugar Land, Texas
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

The Pass

It happened in the 6th grade. My life would have changed forever. The memories still taunt me and it was horrible. I had learned a deeper meaning of good. It wasn’t just helping someone by picking up dropped pencil and books or helping someone clean up. It is just more than that.

My science teacher, Mrs.Mahajan, got excited to receive our human body projects and grade them. She knew we did a great job and them because they were decorated and colorful. As she called us up one by one, she picked up our projects. When it came to Jared, she was furious because he left his project in the locker. She screamed at him until he started crying a bit. She told him it was now going to be three days late. That means thirty points off. Not only that, it will drop thirty points on a MAJOR grade project. It would surely bring down his average. She said unless he had a locker pass, he couldn’t go get it and save his science project. I on the other hand had one. I didn’t know what to do. I experienced a nervous break down. I knew him as a friend only for a little bit. We chat now and then but I couldn’t decide whether to give up my pass or not. It wasn’t easy to get it. I was student of the month. I thought about all the things that could happen if I want to give it up or just keep it. Struggling to decide, I eventually chose to keep it. He started to cry all period after he found nobody had a pass. He didn’t know I had a pass. I was mad at myself for the rest of the day and every time I saw him.

Now I have learned that to be good, you have to do more than the little things. You have to be able to make sacrifices and give up some valuable things for someone who needs it. The thing that made me really mad was that I never used the pass. I left it in my pencil pouch the whole school year. I have also learned to have a good judgment and make better decisions. I regret my selfish decision and it still haunts me and it hurts just to think about what happened on that day.