Are People to be Trusted?

Alvin - Sugar Land, Texas

I used to believe that nobody thought like I did. I also believed that other people’s advice wouldn’t help or provide any solutions for me. These beliefs caused me to feel anxiety and frustration when I was forced to move to Texas. Realizing my parents had been right, my beliefs changed.

It was summer in California when I received the bad news. I came home from school, had a quick snack, and went upstairs to my room. Pulling my binders out of my backpack, I heard my mom come into the room. As she looked down at the floor, she mumbled, “ Alvin, we’re moving to Texas in June.” She walked out of the room and went downstairs, leaving me to ponder what she had just said.

The realization hit me in the head. At first, I felt depressed because I would miss my friends. Then, I felt nervousness as I thought about the people I would face in Texas. It seemed like a far and unusual place. Lastly, I felt anger at my parents. What had I done to deserve this?

I woke up the next morning with a whole different outlook of life. I tried to remember all that had occurred in my life in California. I hung out with my friends more often and tried not to think that I was moving.

The day finally came. It was time to move out. We packed up and began our twenty-one-hour drive to Texas. Throughout the journey, my mother tried comforting me by telling me that I would make lots of friends and that life would be exactly the same. Her words went in one ear and out through the other.

To my surprise, I adapted to Texas life very comfortably. I attended First Colony Middle School- and within months became one of the most popular kids in school. Now, I can’t help but remember what my mother had said one-and-a-half years ago.

In the end, I learned that my original beliefs weren’t true. I now believe that you should always consider others’ opinions before creating a solution.