Ian - Sugar Land, Texas
Entered on February 27, 2009
Age Group: Under 18
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

  • Podcasts

    Sign up for our free, weekly podcast of featured essays. You can download recent episodes individually, or subscribe to automatically receive each podcast. Learn more.

  • FAQ

    Frequently asked questions about the This I Believe project, educational opportunities and more...

  • Top Essays USB Drive

    This USB drive contains 100 of the top This I Believe audio broadcasts of the last ten years, plus some favorites from Edward R. Murrow's radio series of the 1950s. It's perfect for personal or classroom use! Click here to learn more.


In Houston when you say Hurricane the first thing that pops up in your mind is, “It’s going to miss us.” In this story, the complete opposite happens.

“Ian grab the batteries,” my Dad said in a hurry.

As I walked fast to the battery stand, with what little batteries it had, I kept thinking about how this hurricane is less than 36 hours away and heading straight at us. The thought had just sunken in, and I’m not even sure how bad it really was going to be.

We checked out quickly and drove off home.

Honestly I was scared I would never see my friends again, because the news of IKE reaching a category 2 was eye opening material. I called Chloe, in Austin; I told her I’d see her soon and wish me luck braving out IKE.

“..And for the latest on IKE, It has indeed reached a Cat. 2,” the meteorologist said with difficulty.

“Ian please go to bed,” my mom said quietly.

I ran upstairs happy to finally go to sleep.

As I fell asleep with worry, I could hear a faint sound of thunder in the distance.

“Ian!” my Dad yelled.

I ran up the attic stairs and saw streams of water coming down from the ceiling. My dad yelled for me to empty all the buckets and bring them to him. At that point I knew that damage was done and there was no way in stopping it. I went down stairs to empty a bucket, and then I heard a crash.

I ran up stairs to my parent’s bedroom, the ceiling had caved in.

“Okay,” my Dad yelled, “Grab all the pieces that fell!”

We cleared the room pretty much of all the debris in an hour. Once that was done we moved all the furniture and examined the room for any other signs of damage.

“Ian go pick up the shingles in the yard,” my Dad exclaimed.

I sighed but knew I had to do it.

My next door neighbor decided to help me bag

“Hey thanks,” I said with a smile, finishing up the last of the work.

A couple of days later, we could see what the damage had really done. Half of the shingles on are roof were gone, down the street the neighbors house got a pole through it, and we didn’t have electricity.

Surprisingly my dad and I survived without electricity; on the other hand my mom was getting mad. A week or so later we got electricity back and the good news of no school for another half a week was awesome!

I learned a lot during Ike. The most important thing I learned is that family, friends, and neighbors come together and help each other in a time of need. Even though some of us might not agree on a whole bunch of things we will always care for each other no matter what.