Never Judge

Victoria - Holton, Kansas
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

Never Judge

When I was younger I went through kind of a heavier, awkward stage. I weighed more than most of my friends, but it never really fazed me. When I would play with my friends someone would come by and make a rude comment about my weight. I remember my friend Lauren always telling me it was muscle and she would stand up for me. She judged me on how I was inside. Never Judge a person on how they look.

It never really dawned on me that I was bigger than others, until a day on the playground in second grade I was playing with my friends and I was laying down. A boy in my grade came up and called me a fat couch. I know that doesn’t seem like a big deal, but I was a very sensitive little girl and it really hurt my feelings. But I had a friend named Justine and she never thought of me has heavier and liked me for who I was on the inside.

I never thought I was fat, I just didn’t understand why I couldn’t wear some of the cute clothes my friends were wearing. I always wanted to wear this Mary-Kate and Ashley outfit, but my mom would never let me get it. One day this girl wore the same outfit to school. I came home crying because it looked so cute on her, and I wanted to wear it.

I went through about three years of being bigger, and then when I hit fourth grade I noticed a change in my appetite. I wasn’t as hungry and I would eat less. People surrounding me started to notice a difference in my appearance, and noticed I was getting smaller. I was growing, and had just got my tonsils taken out, so it hurt to eat. I started to lose even more weight. I lost so much weight I didn’t look healthy and my mom started taking me to the doctor’s office to get tested for different reasons to see if I had an eating disorder, or if my stomach wasn’t digesting right. They never found anything out. I just wasn’t hungry.

Now I am at a normal weight, and it’s kind of funny to look back on how I was when I was little. My friends and I laugh, and make jokes about it all the time. But I always am still sensitive when I see kids who are overweight being made fun of, because I know what it feels like. I believe that no one should ever judge others on how they look.