Brothers

Anthony - Fitchburg, Massachusetts
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe in brothers. This is evident in a succession of mornings at the beginning of my freshman year in high school. It was a cool October morning and I should have had at least two hours before I had to get up for school, but my brother came into my room and told me to get up and ready. Without realization of the time I got dressed, put on my sneakers and walked to his car. I got in the car and saw the time was quarter of five in the morning. My brother and I both share a passion for basketball and when we walked into the dimly lit gym, we went straight to work. We went every morning before school for the next month. I learned a lot that month. I learned that hard work will give you more pleasure than pain at the end of the day. Most of all I learned I will have my brother to watch out for me, guide me and verbally lash me if necessary.

My brother always talks to me about how to improve myself on the court but showing me that it doesn’t just apply there. I can learn how to live my life through basketball. I can show my unselfishness, desire, courage and toughness. He showed me I will only get the most joy if I work hard to get myself in that situation because if I’m not prepared I can never flourish. My brother, Adam, taught me these things and spent this part of my life with me. I believe in brothers.