Mayberry

Linda - Slemp, Kentucky
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I’m always in a hurry. My day starts at 6:30 am and from there I’m always doing something. Americans everywhere run themselves ragged trying to keep up with the guy next door. We are all climbing the ladder of success and whoever gets in our way, well that‘s unfortunate. However late at night I find myself drifting back to a time when a person’s word was as good as a contract. When children could play outside and no one worried about strangers in the shadows. A place where unexpected company at dinner time was a joy and not a hassle. A time when friends and strangers alike came together to help their fellow man. Success wasn’t based on how far up the ladder you climbed, but who you helped along the way.

This place is different for everybody, but for me it has always been Mayberry. In Mayberry the golden rule meant something and it was better to give than receive. Mayberry wasn’t perfect. Andy and Barney had their fair share of lawbreakers, but at the end of the day peace was restored. I still believe Mayberry exists. It’s not a place, rather a state of mind. I believe goodness can be found in the heart of every man and that the golden rule is always the best rule. I believe “a good name is rather to be chosen than great riches.” I believe that if we all stopped for a minute we would all be more alike than we are different. I may be a bit idealistic, but I believe God gives us the ability to put others before ourselves. It’s up to us to do so. As I fall to sleep, I’m on a dirt road, whistling, and my husband is holding a fishing rod in his hand. Our sons are running ahead of us and this is why I believe in Mayberry.