Friendship is Essential

Heather - Harrisonburg, Virginia
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I grew up on a farm in Southside Virginia, graduated from a private school with 39 other people, and met my bridesmaids in kindergarten. I believe, “Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together,” Woodrow Wilson. I would not be who I am today without friendship. The friendships that I have formed throughout my life have helped to shape me, and I believe, hold me together.

The definition of friendship differs from person to person. I believe friendship is a mutual connection between two individuals that grows as time goes on. The respect, trust, and love that the individuals share define their friendship. I would have to recognize my first and longest friendship as the one I share with my mother. From her, I learned how to be a great friend to others. She taught me the ins and outs of true friendship; what to look for, what to say, and most importantly, things not to do. When I mentioned having already met my bridesmaids, I was talking about the three best connections I ever made in my life. My best friends and I met each other in kindergarten and by sixth grade we were practically inseparable. When it came time for us to go off to college, I wasn’t worried about leaving the girls because I knew they would always be there for me and that our bond would not be affected by the distance between all of us. What I didn’t realize was how much a part of me they were, and how hard it would be to function without them.

Before coming to James Madison University, I was used to having my best friends and people that I had known for years always close by. I came not realizing how special those people were to me. This resulted in quite a rocky first semester. I quickly learned that if I wanted to live out my dreams and be successful then I had to stick it out and begin to form lasting friendships similar to those I had always known.

After a couple of months, things began to fall into place. My first roommate and I agreed that living together was not the best for our friendship, and she switched with a girl across the hall. I would have to claim, I then landed the best roommate ever. Her sweet and caring nature was exactly the balance I needed. As my friendship with her and others grew so did my happiness. I began to live in the comfort of true friends again.

The laughs, tears, and love I have shared with others have shaped me and strengthened me into the person and friend I am now. After coming to JMU, I quickly realized how much friendship was a part of my life and how important it was to my happiness. My three best friends, along with many others, are the reason I believe that friendship is essential in leading a happy and fulfilled life.