Scot - Deerfield, Wisconsin
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

This I believe

I believe the greatest days in life aren’t always the ones deemed the most important. Much to my wife’s chagrin, my wedding day isn’t the most memorable day with her. That day came about five years earlier when we were backpacking in the Northern Kettle State Park. It was a just below freezing May morning and I can see her climbing out of the tent covered with every piece of clothing on she could find. Did I mention she doesn’t particularily like being cold? This was the day I knew she was the person I would spend the rest of my life with. Graduation ceremony from college? Missed it on purpose because I was hanging out with my buddies at one of our local hangout reminiscing about the days we knew came to an end. Christmas is nice but I prefer Thanksgiving. I think the whole premise about giving thanks for what you have makes more sense than the consumer fiasco that Christmas has become. I remember the day I ran my first marathon but more memorable were those early morning runs where you get in a conversation with your running partner and the miles just click by. The one day that has truely gone beyond my expectations was the birth of our son. All the classes couldn’t prepare me for this. Watching my wife gently cradle him immediately after the 42 hour natural delivery was awe-inspiring. It helped immensly that we were at a birthing clinic surrounded by people who felt like our family. I guess my point is plan for those big events but understand the greatest moments in your life sometimes happen without any much planning at all.