Foolish

Amy - Dublin, Ohio
Themes: family, place
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

A year ago, we made a life-decision. We decided to sell our home in San Diego and move back to Ohio where my husband and I grew up. Our neighbors, friends and family thought we were insane. Because we were trying to sell our home in a “buyer’s market,” we decided that it needed to be spotless. My husband and I (along with help from friends and relatives) worked to prepare the house to be sold. Everything that I had hounded my husband about changing and fixing for the past 12 years was repaired or renovated. He remodeled the kitchen and bathroom and refinished the wood floors. Amazingly, when we put our home up for sale in April, it sold in a week’s time for more than asking price.

We boxed up our belongings and moved to a small, two bedroom apartment in Ohio, where we are still living with our two small children. We gave up sunshine, perfect weather and my husband’s job security to move closer to family. My friends in San Diego often ask me if I miss our lives back there. And, I have to admit that there were days in January where I dreamed of going out to run a few errands without having to bundle my kids up. But, on the whole, my husband and I still feel we made the correct decision. Our families, who live minutes away, frequently visit the kids. I spend time with my grandmother, who will turn 100 years old this year, on a weekly basis with my children. Was it wise to trade perfect weather for the opportunity for my children to build life-long relationships with my family? I can honestly answer a confident, “yes.”

While many people may believe that our decision was crazy, it is my belief that even the craziest decisions, if they are made for the right reasons, will always have happy endings.

We purchased a home here in Ohio and will be moving in April 1st, April Fool’s Day. And, I am not feeling the least bit foolish.