I believe in best friends

Merle - LaGrange, Illinois

I believe in best friends. Best friend meaning, the one person who you wish was your sister or brother.

This is a new belief for me. In grade school I called people my best friends but they never allowed me to be who I really was. I guess I never really had a true best friend. I spent all of grade school pretending to be someone I wasn’t and hiding from my fears of not being accepted. My views changed when I met Sara in A Christmas Carole last year. She has been my best friend ever since. Sara and I always say that we weren’t sisters because we would be too much to handle together. Both of our mothers agree. Sara and I have been best friends for about a year and two months and have been inseparable.

I do everything with her. I mean everything. I carpool to school with her everyday and have chorus with her. I take the activity bus to north for play practice with her and then walk home with her. I spent everyday with her this summer. The few days I didn’t spend with her I was texting her. She knows everything there is to know about me. Everything. She knows me so well she can even tell when I’m upset just by how I answer the phone. I try hiding it to the best of my ability but she can always tell.

I have a really big fear of people judging me. I can’t stand the thought of people forming bad opinions about me. Because of this I have a really hard time auditioning for plays. I love acting but auditioning make me a nervous wreck. I sometimes even have panic attacks. I want to be perfect and because of that I have a hard time even pushing myself into the audition room. I tend to chicken out. Sara literally drags me into the auditions and gets me to the point where I am able to make it through the audition. She gives me that support that I need to do something that I love.

I guess I could say that Sara have basically changed my life. She has given me the opportunities to be myself and feel comfortable knowing that I’m good enough. I know she will always be there for me and that is all I need.