Look to the Stars

Zoe - Western Springs, Illinois

I believe that whenever I get too hard on myself, I should take a look up to the stars. This may sound crazy, and you’re probably wondering what in the world I am talking about. When I look up at the stars in the sky a certain sense of power is lost. I look at them and start to feel very insignificant, but then again so do my problems. When I look at them, I begin to think about how much else is out there.

Different civilizations, extremely unusual creatures, or maybe somewhere there is a world that is identical to mine. There might possibly be the exact same countries, rulers, people and families. I don’t know, maybe there are aliens with ears on their hands, or centipedes the size of mountains. There could be a planet somewhere the size of my pinky, that’s more technologically advanced than our earth will be in 1,000 years. There might be a planet where snuggies are on the runway and are considered first-class style. Perhaps there are worlds collapsing and dying or worlds were life has just begun. Other worlds could be discovering electricity, or flying cars. And before I know it, I’ve temporarily forgotten about that test I didn’t do so hot on!

The reason I look at the stars isn’t so that I feel like I can do whatever I want and it won’t matter. The reason I do this is so I don’t get hung up on things that really don’t matter in the long run. Looking at the stars helps me see the big picture. Perhaps I was just handed back a test and I had gotten a “D”. Obviously I’m not jumping for joy, but I’m also not going to kill myself over something like a bad test grade. What would be the point of stressing something that I can’t change.

When I look at the stars it makes me think about what’s important. 10 years from now am I going to say, “I can’t believe I did so bad on that test my sophomore year of high school!”? I sure hope not! When I look to the sky, it doesn’t seem that important. Maybe somewhere someone is dying, or just found out they have a terminal illness; and then I just feel silly that I got so worked up about something like a bad grade on some test. So whenever something negative happens to me, I look to the stars, and start the next moments with a positive attitude and a will to not only fix my mistakes, but in fixing them make myself a better person.