Be yourself and live with no regrets

Emily - Ava, Missouri
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I am seventeen years old, eighteen in March. I am a senior this year at my school. I would no say I am excellent or deficient as a student, just average. I never played any sports, and never really got into the whole school spirit activties. I never dated the cute guy in class, or for that matter, dated anyone my own age. I did not attend the sporting events, or really hang out with my friends that much because I was always busy at the grocery store I work at or because of the older boys I hung out with.

These are the best years of our lives, or that is what I have been told, and what do I have to show for the past four years of highschool? Nothing really, just the pictures I rarely took, or the stories I was hardly in. Then there are the boys that I could have dated that was my own age that I did not but sometimes secretly wish I would have. There is the job I have worked at for the past two years, every single weekend, and barely have enough money for anything I buy. I am a little disappointed in myself. I never was myself. I was always afraid of someone judging me. I believe you should be yourself and live with no regrets. If you live with regrets that just means you could have always done something better. I could have been more involved or worked less. I could have dated a boy my age or even hung out with my friends.

We are all going our different ways and I have only had half the experience and fun my fellow classmates have had. I cannot change it now, but only try to improve in college. So I encourage people to work a little less, have a little more fun, and discover themselves. No one should ever live with regrets in their lives.