You Can Make Your Own Luck

Taylor - PO Box 506, Missouri
Themes: work

I believe I am the luckiest person in the world. Can you say this? I would hope so, but in reality, I believe not. You see, I raise and show Registered Angus Cattle. That is my hobby, and my hobby earns me money. More importantly, it makes me happy when I am competing in the show ring. Now I realize that very few people even realize that there is such a thing as “showing” cattle, but here is a peek at my life.

My cattle are part of my family. My show animals have names like Attitude, Prissy, and Princess. In the summer, during show season, I wash them and blow them dry twice a day. I make sure they have clean bedding in the barn and are placed under a fan. I feed them the best feed ration I can afford. I lead them around the show ring and set their legs to make them look the best they can be. If you think this sounds like hard work, it is. It is an every day event. It is hot, nasty, and smelly work. It is sad to say, but our bovine are cleaner and better fed than I am. I was raised to believe that hard work and perseverance pay off in the end. Winning is nice, but just the satisfaction involved with a hard days work is fine with me.

You know, life is a lot like a show ring. We all do things that have to be done and not for the glory of doing it. Sometimes, we have to get our hands dirty, and sometimes there is a lot of “manure” that we have to put up with. But in the end, as luck would have it, people do notice the jobs you have done, I can wash my hands with soap and water, and I can shovel the “manure” out of the way.