Being yourself

helen - austin, Texas

Have you ever heard the phrase, “Just be yourself”? Have you ever changed yourself so the guy or girl your interested in would share mutual feelings? Have you ever worried about what others think of you instead of what you think of yourself? Well I’m not going to lie; I have for all of the above, but now I understand before I judge others I need to take a closer look at myself, before I go changing for some stupid boy that’s probably not going to matter in a few months, I need to stop and think about what I’m giving up, before I go worrying about what others think of me, I need to be myself.

“Being yourself” can sometimes be just about the worst advice you can give someone, because sometimes we forget who we really are. I believe that everyone should stop trying to impress someone else and start living life one wants to live it. I’ve noticed many people are striving to be something their not, and for what? I believe in being who you want and act how you want, because those who mind won’t matter and those who matter won’t care.

So what if you’re a little different from everyone else? Everyone’s weird in their own way. I remember when I was in first grade, my teacher gave me a picture of 3 apples and a banana and asked me which one didn’t belong, of course I got it right, but now that I look back on it I noticed one of the first things my elementary school taught me was that being different was wrong. I believe in before trying to impress the cute boy or cute girl across the room, you need to be yourself. What is the point of someone liking a fake personality?

Everyone’s weird or strange in their own ways, but that’s what makes them unique. No one’s perfect. I’m vulnerable to believing lies, I hate people who litter who wants to look around and see trash everywhere, I get scared when toast pops out the toaster, I like straightening my money when I’m bored, I like eating when I’m bored, I’m always worried or paranoid over something stupid, I like to think I have game, but I probably don’t, I make excuses for everything, I’m 4’11, I don’t fall for boys easily, but when I do I fall hard, sometimes I think nonliving things communicate with each other when no one’s around, sadly I don’t follow the stereotype all Asians are good at math, and I love foggy and humid days, that’s just an introduction to me, and I’m sure you guys are already thinking that’s weird, and I’m okay with it. How boring would is world be if everyone was the same? Once upon a time I read a quote, “be yourself, an original is worth way more then a copy.”