Age doesn’t measure Life

Carter - Deland, Florida
Themes: carpe diem

When I was younger I always thought that life was measured by age. This idea of life that I had all changed once I saw the Will Smith movie “Hitch”, he talks about seeing life in a different way. A way that it isn’t measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

I realized that this has been a major part of my life ever since I was in the first grade. We were doing group work on the computers, and I got paired up with my crush at the time. We went to the back of the room where the teacher didn’t have a view of us. We got started on the grammar assignment when she asked me if I wanted to play mother and son. Of course, being a six year old boy, I didn’t care so I said yes. In the game she was putting me to bed, and kissed right on the lips for a couple seconds. Looking back, that moment really took my breath away.

Going farther back to being a four year old, I was trying to learn how to ride a motorcycle. This was still when my grandparents were living down in Florida and I was living in my old house. This moment both took my breath away and taught me a valuable lesson. I hopped on my Yamaha p-w fifty cc dirt bike and was doing fine. My dad and my grandpa were helping me. I started to go towards my grandpa, and as I got to a place where I could stop, I grabbed a handful of throttle and pushed my grandpa into the woods. The tire of my dirt bike went into his leg and left a big gash. He had to get stitches and now has a large scar on the inside of his leg. The rush of going fast, and feeling bad took my breath away, and his, and taught me to never panic in any situation.

When you are worrying about how old you are, just remember how you should only care about your moments, not moments of life, but the moments that take your breath away. This I believe.