I Have a Body

Desi - South Carolina

I believe I was born with my own body for a reason. I was born with my own pair of legs because I am strong enough to walk on them by myself. I am strong enough to choose which direction I want to take.

I was born with my own arms and hands because I am creative, and I can draw and write and type and play music without anyone else to move my hands for me.

I was born with my own mouth because only I know what I want to say to others, and I don’t need anyone else to say it for me.

I was born with my own set of eyes so I can see the world and interpret it for myself. I don’t need someone else to tell me what I’m seeing.

I was born with my own ears so that I can listen to music, to nature, and I can know the things that are surrounding me. No one else has to listen for me.

I was born with my own brain so that all of these things are possible on my own. I don’t need someone to hold my hand and walk me through school. I know how to make my own decisions, and I do.

I was born with my own heart not only so that I had to rely upon others to help me breathe, but because only I know how I feel. It’s not that others don’t know if I love someone or something, It’s that they can’t know.

At the moment, I am in love. I know what my parents say, that I’m still young and I don’t know what love is. However, I’ve been in a relationship before where I thought I was in love, but I wasn’t. I know that I wasn’t because I have legs. I was able to walk away from that relationship on them because I saw with my eyes that there was someone else waiting for me. I said a goodbye with my own mouth that my own brain created, because my own heart told me I wasn’t in love yet.

Now, however, I walk into my love’s arms every day on my own. I hug him every day with my arms and tell him I love him with my own mouth. I see him smile at me and I hear him tell me he loves me too with my ears. I know that he may not love me as much as I love him, but my heart tells me that it doesn’t matter.

I don’t think that the relationship will last forever, even if I hope. I know that chances are far fetched, and there’s probably someone else waiting for him just like he was waiting for me, however, I am myself with him, and I am happy. I believe that I was given my own body because I am meant to fall in love with who I want, regardless of what others say. It’s not that I don’t hear them, it’s just that everything I was given is telling me that I’m where I need to be, and I’m who I need to be with.