Everything Happens for a Reason

Andrea - Hazard, Kentucky
Themes: purpose

As a child I was intrigued by the heroes in my stories and how they overcame such great odds to win true love or rescue the damsel in distress. As I grew older I realized that sometimes heroes die and villains live. We love and we lose. We grieve and we feel joy. Things are taken away and things are replenished. It is those things which make us stronger; they make us who we are. I believe that all things happen for a reason, we are dealt no mistakes.

I had my first experience with this philosophy at fifteen; I was a freshman in high school and pregnant. I thought I’d made a terrible mistake and wanted to find the easiest way to correct it. I made an appointment with a local doctor and in I went. The doctor explained all the options to me and wanted to do an ultrasound to confirm my pregnancy. Within a few seconds I could hear a swishing sound and make out a small dot on a television screen. The swishing was the sound of a heartbeat and the dot was the child I now carried inside my body. Contrary to popular belief, I knew this life was no mistake and I had to be the best mom I could possibly be.

Fifteen years later, I look into her big brown eyes and know she happened to me for a reason. She made me look at life through clear eyes and meet each day with the mindset that possibilities ARE around every corner. She was given to me to allow me the privilege of a second chance at life. Alone at fifteen I was headed nowhere fast but as a mother at fifteen I had everything to gain. She happened to me for a reason and there is no mistake in the love we share for one another.