Seat Belt or No Seat Belt

India - Chattanooga, Tennessee
Themes: carpe diem

One day like any other day, I was sitting in chapel, and as the senior speaker began to tell her chapel talk, something caught my attention that made me want to listen. I listened to this young woman tell the story about how her cousin was in a bad car crash and didn’t believe in wearing seat belts, and the one thing that saved his life was him not wearing a seat belt because he was able to escape from the vehicle. The bell rung and it was time to go to lunch. As I was walking to lunch, I thought about the young woman’s story for a little bit and then went on with my day.

When my mom picked me up after cheerleading practice that day when I got in the car I again thought about the story as I put my seat belt on. The first semester was almost over and before I knew it, Christmas Break was here. I spent my Christmas break, like any other teenager, with my family and friends and not once thought about the story. I walked in to school one Tuesday morning and sat down next to my friend Jalesa, and she told me some devastating news. It was that my cousin had been in a very bad car crash the previous night and the only thing that saved his life was his seat belt. I than began to think how my 16 year old cousin could have had his life taken away, but he was blessed. Later on in the day, I also thought about the young lady’s story from a couple of weeks ago. I then began to wonder if I should wear a seat belt. After school my mom picked me up like any other day and as I grasped the seat belt in my hand, I began to think seat belt or no seat belt. I slowly fastened my seat belt as my mom began to drive off.

I am not trying to get you to think that you should or shouldn’t wear a seat belt but to not take simple things as fastening or not fastening your seat belt for granted. I believe that you shouldn’t take life for granted and should live it to the fullest because you never know when that opportunity will be taken away.