Keep Moving Forward

Nick - Rock Falls, Illinois
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe life is not about how hard I can hit, I believe life is all about how hard I can hit rock bottom, get back up, and keep moving forward. I felt I have hit rock bottom several times in my life. I learn from it. But after getting in trouble two different times in such a short time period in my life, I felt failure was a leech on my neck that would never let go.

I felt like I had built a great foundation during my first two years of high school. I always wanted to be considered a good kid, and be the person my parents knew I could and would be. I was an honor student. Then I slipped. I was a junior. Football season was over, and a huge party was planned. I went, had a few drinks, enjoyed the night, and, unfortunately, hit a small joint. It was the biggest mistake I had ever made. The nurse pulled from class one day. I had been randomly selected to take a drug test. My heart dropped. I couldn’t breathe. The only thing on my mind was that joint. Sure enough, the day of our first game, the results were in. I failed. All I wanted to do at the time was quit. My parents were very upset, but they were the reason I got back on my feet as well. I stayed on the team, suspended in embarrassment for three straight weeks. I got alot stronger from this and continued my season as a role player. I still got in a varsity game and scored which was a dream I had since I was young. I stayed on the honor roll, stayed out of trouble, and just put my mistake in the past, knowing I could never allow myself to slip up again.

When I was a senior, expectations were high for the upcoming basketball season. I continued to keep my grades up and became a very valuable member of my school’s basketball team. Then the unexpected occurred. I decided I would show up to our school’s winter dance intoxicated. The next thing I knew, I was in handcuffs. I literally thought my life was over. But I had to overcome it; I remained on the team to push them as hard as I could every day in practice. Knowing I would never see the floor again.

Today I am still attempting to bounce back. I am a full time student in college, and I have a full time job. I was once a good kid, and am still a good person. I have hit rock bottom, I have barely been alive during some very rainy days. I feel like I am still on the way up. I believe no matter how hard I fall, no matter what obstacle lies in my way, I can overcome it. I have to choose to do it, only I can turn my life around, no one else.